Brunch muffins with poached eggs, asparagus tips and smoked bacon
These delicious brunch muffins are perfect for busy days and lazy weekends.
Fresh asparagus means you get a serving of vegetables with your breakfast, and they taste delicious with the flavour of the runny egg yolks.
To make this vegetarian, leave out the bacon, or swap with mushroom instead.
Serves: 4 Prep time: 10 minutes Cooking time: 15-20 minutes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 12 rashers smoked streaky bacon
- 4 English muffins, split
- 25g butter
- 4 large eggs
- 200g asparagus tips
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
What to do:
- Preheat the oven to 120°C.
- Add half the olive oil to another frying pan and fry bacon until crisp. Transfer to a plate line with kitchen paper and leave to drain.
- Spilt the muffins open and toast on both sides, spreading with a little butter if you like. Transfer the muffins and the bacon to the low oven to keep warm.
- Fill a deep-frying pan with boiling water from the kettle water and add a pinch of salt, setting over a high heat to bring to the boil. Reduce the heat to a minimum so you just see a few gentle bubbles forming. Crack an egg into to a small bowl and slide gently into the water, lowering the bowl as close to the water surface as you can so the egg doesn’t spread out. Repeat with the other eggs and leave to poach until cooking to your liking, about 5-7 minutes.
- Bring a pan of water to the boil, add the asparagus and cook for 2-3 until just tender. Drain well, drizzle over the rest of the olive oil and season with a little salt and pepper. Keep warm with the muffins and bacon if the eggs are not quite ready.
- Use a slotted spoon to lift the eggs from the water to a plate lined with kitchen paper. Allow to drain for a few seconds.
- To assemble the muffins, start by adding 3 rashers of bacon to each muffin. Divide the seasoned asparagus between each muffin and finish with a poached egg. Top with other half of the muffin and tuck in immediately.
Recipe courtesy of www.enjoyasparagus.com
Rachel - Silversurfers Assistant Editor
Latest posts by Rachel - Silversurfers Assistant Editor (see all)
- Vegan griddled asparagus and shallots with salsa verde - September 20, 2019
- National Eye Health Week - September 19, 2019
- What’s the best way to stay fit and active as you age? - September 17, 2019
- Creative writing: stretching your imaginative powers - September 16, 2019
- Fish Tacos with Cherry Salsa - September 13, 2019
Leave a Comment!
Community Terms & Conditions
These content standards apply to any and all material which you contribute to our site (contributions), and to any interactive services associated with it.
You must comply with the spirit of the following standards as well as the letter. The standards apply to each part of any contribution as well as to its whole.
be accurate (where they state facts); be genuinely held (where they state opinions); and comply with applicable law in the UK and in any country from which they are posted.
Contributions must not:
contain any material which is defamatory of any person; or contain any material which is obscene, offensive, hateful or inflammatory; or promote sexually explicit material; or promote violence; promote discrimination based on race, sex, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age; or infringe any copyright, database right or trade mark of any other person; or be likely to deceive any person; or be made in breach of any legal duty owed to a third party, such as a contractual duty or a duty of confidence; or promote any illegal activity; or be threatening, abuse or invade another’s privacy, or cause annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety; or be likely to harass, upset, embarrass, alarm or annoy any other person; or be used to impersonate any person, or to misrepresent your identity or affiliation with any person; or give the impression that they emanate from us, if this is not the case; or advocate, promote or assist any unlawful act such as (by way of example only) copyright infringement or computer misuse.
Nurturing a safe environment
Our Silversurfers community is designed to foster friendships, based on trust, honesty, integrity and loyalty and is underpinned by these values.
We don't tolerate swearing, and reserve the right to remove any posts which we feel may offend others... let's keep it friendly!