Cheese, Celery and Walnut Scones
Perfect for a relaxed family breakfast or a leisurely afternoon tea, these tasty savoury scones are a great twist on a classic.
Using ingredients you’ll likely already have in the kitchen, this recipe is easy to rustle together over the Christmas season for last-minute guests or when you don’t feel like cooking!
To give this dish an even more sophisticated flavour, add some finely chopped fresh parsley to your butter – the smooth butter and parsley balance beautifully with the nutty celery flavour.
Makes: 15 Prep time: 20 minutes Cooking time: 10-12 minutes
- 225g self-raising flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 50g butter
- 125g mature cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 head Fenland celery, finely chop 2 of the stalks
- 50g walnuts, roughly chopped
- 1 large free range egg
- 6 tbsp Milk (approx.)
for the parsley butter
- 50g butter, softened
- 2 tbsp parsley, finely chopped
What to do
- Pre heat oven 220c /200c fan/ gas 7 and grease a baking tray.
- Place the flour and baking powder into a large bowl, rub in the butter until it resembles fine breadcrumbs and then stir in the finely chopped Fenland celery, 100g of the grated cheese and the chopped walnuts.
- Break the egg into a measuring jug, lightly beat and make up to 150ml with the milk, add all but a small amount, reserve to brush the tops with. Mix gently until you have a soft dough.
- Knead lightly on a floured surface and roll out to approx. 2 cm thick, cut into 6 cm rounds and place on the baking tray, re roll any trimmings.
- Brush the tops with a little of the reserved egg mix and sprinkle with the remaining cheese, bake for 12-15 minutes until well risen and golden. Cool on a wire rack.
- Mix together the softened butter and parsley, serve the scones warm, split in half and topped with the butter with the remaining Fenland celery to crunch along with.
Recipe courtesy of: www.fenlandcelery.com
Silversurfer's Assistant Editor
Latest posts by Silversurfer's Assistant Editor (see all)
- Weekend brunch muffins - May 21, 2018
- Simple Satay Sauce - May 18, 2018
- Classic First Dance Songs for Weddings - May 17, 2018
- Celebrate National Vegetarian Week 2018 - May 15, 2018
- Should Prince Harry and Meghan Markle stick to tradition? - May 15, 2018
Leave a Comment!
Community Terms & Conditions
These content standards apply to any and all material which you contribute to our site (contributions), and to any interactive services associated with it.
You must comply with the spirit of the following standards as well as the letter. The standards apply to each part of any contribution as well as to its whole.
be accurate (where they state facts); be genuinely held (where they state opinions); and comply with applicable law in the UK and in any country from which they are posted.
Contributions must not:
contain any material which is defamatory of any person; or contain any material which is obscene, offensive, hateful or inflammatory; or promote sexually explicit material; or promote violence; promote discrimination based on race, sex, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age; or infringe any copyright, database right or trade mark of any other person; or be likely to deceive any person; or be made in breach of any legal duty owed to a third party, such as a contractual duty or a duty of confidence; or promote any illegal activity; or be threatening, abuse or invade another’s privacy, or cause annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety; or be likely to harass, upset, embarrass, alarm or annoy any other person; or be used to impersonate any person, or to misrepresent your identity or affiliation with any person; or give the impression that they emanate from us, if this is not the case; or advocate, promote or assist any unlawful act such as (by way of example only) copyright infringement or computer misuse.
Nurturing a safe environment
Our Silversurfers community is designed to foster friendships, based on trust, honesty, integrity and loyalty and is underpinned by these values.
We don't tolerate swearing, and reserve the right to remove any posts which we feel may offend others... let's keep it friendly!