Bonfire Night Recipes
A warming meal is just what you need if you’re heading outside to enjoy the fireworks for Bonfire Night.
Today we’re sharing a couple of fast, easy and delicious dishes to make for family and friends on Bonfire Night.
Fast and easy before the fireworks: Hot dog with sweet & smoky shredded beetroot
Serves: 4 Preparation time: 5 minutes Cooking time: 30 minutes
- 4 good quality sausages
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tsp wholegrain mustard
- 1 tsp cider vinegar
- 4 Hot dog rolls or pieces of french stick
- 1 pack sweet & smoky shredded beetroot
- Lambs lettuce to serve
- Salt to season
- Combine the syrup, mustard and vinegar with a pinch of salt. Paint the mixture over the sausages then cook them on a hot barbecue or under a preheated grill for 10-15 minutes. Turn them frequently and baste with glaze until cooked through.
- Serve in hot dog rolls and top with shredded beetroot and lambs lettuce.
Cook’s Tip: Sweet & smoky shredded beetroot is available at Tesco.
For the road: Sausage Rolls with a Beer Dip
Makes: 24 Preparation time: 30 mins Cooking time: 20-25 mins
- 450g high meat content sausage meat
- 1 small onion, peeled and finely diced
- 4 sticks Fenland celery, trimmed
- and finely diced
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh sage
- 350g ready-made puff pastry
- 1 free-range egg, beaten with 1 tbsp milk (to seal)
- 1 free-range egg, beaten (to glaze)
- Salt and pepper to taste
For the beer dip
- 4 tbsp tomato ketchup
- 2 tbsp tomato chutney
- 1 tbsp Worcester sauce
- 1 tsp English mustard
- 150ml dark beer
- Pre-heat oven to 220C/450F/Gas 7. Grease and line two large baking sheets with greaseproof paper.
- Mix the sausage meat, onion, celery and sage together and season with a little salt and pepper.
- Roll the pastry out on a well-floured board into a large rectangle. Cut into three strips, lengthways.
- With floured hands, take a third of the sausage meat mixture and make a long sausage shape, then lay it on one half of one of the strips of pastry. Moisten the edges with a little egg and milk mixture then fold the other half of the length of pastry over and seal along the edges.
- Using a sharp knife, cut about 8 sausage rolls out of one strip, then snip the tops to allow the steam to escape. Repeat with the remaining two pastry strips.
- Place them all on the baking sheets, brush with beaten egg and bake on two shelves, swapping them over half way through for 15 to 20 minutes until the pastry is puffed up and golden brown.
- Remove the sausage rolls from the oven and allow to cool slightly before serving warm, or cold.
- Meanwhile, make the dip by adding all the ingredients to a sauce pan and heating gently until warm. Pour the dip into a bowl and serve with the warm sausage rolls.
- Can be frozen before baking.
Silversurfer's Assistant Editor
Latest posts by Silversurfer's Assistant Editor (see all)
- 8 tips for serving fizz, wines and cocktails this festive season - December 10, 2017
- Which retro party foods have you served? - December 8, 2017
- Festive Blueberry and Bergamot Popcorn with salted caramel - December 8, 2017
- Silversurfers Everyday Christmas Playlist - December 7, 2017
- The best of Donny & Marie Osmond - December 6, 2017
Leave a Comment!
Community Terms & Conditions
These content standards apply to any and all material which you contribute to our site (contributions), and to any interactive services associated with it.
You must comply with the spirit of the following standards as well as the letter. The standards apply to each part of any contribution as well as to its whole.
be accurate (where they state facts); be genuinely held (where they state opinions); and comply with applicable law in the UK and in any country from which they are posted.
Contributions must not:
contain any material which is defamatory of any person; or contain any material which is obscene, offensive, hateful or inflammatory; or promote sexually explicit material; or promote violence; promote discrimination based on race, sex, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age; or infringe any copyright, database right or trade mark of any other person; or be likely to deceive any person; or be made in breach of any legal duty owed to a third party, such as a contractual duty or a duty of confidence; or promote any illegal activity; or be threatening, abuse or invade another’s privacy, or cause annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety; or be likely to harass, upset, embarrass, alarm or annoy any other person; or be used to impersonate any person, or to misrepresent your identity or affiliation with any person; or give the impression that they emanate from us, if this is not the case; or advocate, promote or assist any unlawful act such as (by way of example only) copyright infringement or computer misuse.
Nurturing a safe environment
Our Silversurfers community is designed to foster friendships, based on trust, honesty, integrity and loyalty and is underpinned by these values.
We don't tolerate swearing, and reserve the right to remove any posts which we feel may offend others... let's keep it friendly!