Cranberry sausage rolls
Add a festive twist to your sausage rolls this Christmas and enjoy the seasonal flavours with these cranberry sausage rolls.
Serves: 16 Prep time: 25 minutes Cook time: 25 minutes
- A large knob of butter
- 80g cranberries
- 8 sage leaves, finely chopped
- 1 echalion shallot, peeled and sliced
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 450g sausage meat
- 1 pack ready roll puff pastry
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- Heat the oven to 200C/180C fan. Heat the butter in a frying pan and add the cranberries, sage leaves, shallots and brown sugar. Cook on a medium heat for 10 minutes until the shallots are soft and the sugar has caramelised. Add 3tbsp of water and bubble for another 4-5 minutes until the cranberries have burst and the liquid has dried to a sticky caramel.
- Tip into a large bowl, add the sausage meat, season well and use a fork to mash the ingredients together.
- Unroll the puff pastry and cut in half to create two long strips. Divide the sausage mixture in half and spoon down the centre of each strip of pastry. Brush the front edge of each strip with a little beaten egg and fold the back edge of the pastry over the sausage meat pushing the edges together to seal, then use a fork to press along to whole seam. Repeat with the other strip of pastry. Brush the tops of each strip with the remaining egg wash and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Use a sharp knife to cut each strip into 8 pieces. Put the sausage rolls on to a non-stick oven sheet and bake for 25 minutes until golden brown all over. Set aside to cool a little and serve hot or cold.
Recipe courtesy of BerryWorld
Rachel - Silversurfers Assistant Editor
Leave a Comment!
Community Terms & Conditions
These content standards apply to any and all material which you contribute to our site (contributions), and to any interactive services associated with it.
You must comply with the spirit of the following standards as well as the letter. The standards apply to each part of any contribution as well as to its whole.
be accurate (where they state facts); be genuinely held (where they state opinions); and comply with applicable law in the UK and in any country from which they are posted.
Contributions must not:
contain any material which is defamatory of any person; or contain any material which is obscene, offensive, hateful or inflammatory; or promote sexually explicit material; or promote violence; promote discrimination based on race, sex, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age; or infringe any copyright, database right or trade mark of any other person; or be likely to deceive any person; or be made in breach of any legal duty owed to a third party, such as a contractual duty or a duty of confidence; or promote any illegal activity; or be threatening, abuse or invade another’s privacy, or cause annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety; or be likely to harass, upset, embarrass, alarm or annoy any other person; or be used to impersonate any person, or to misrepresent your identity or affiliation with any person; or give the impression that they emanate from us, if this is not the case; or advocate, promote or assist any unlawful act such as (by way of example only) copyright infringement or computer misuse.
Nurturing a safe environment
Our Silversurfers community is designed to foster friendships, based on trust, honesty, integrity and loyalty and is underpinned by these values.
We don't tolerate swearing, and reserve the right to remove any posts which we feel may offend others... let's keep it friendly!