Rib eye steak with wasabi butter
Spice up your weekend dinner and add some new flavours into the mix with this delicious and easy recipe for rib eye steak and wasabi butter.
Fast and simple to put together, you can serve it up with crispy chips, roast potatoes or a seasonal vegetable medley.
Serves: 2 Prep Time: 10 minutes Cooking Time: 20 minutes
- 50g butter, softened slightly
- freshly grated wasabi to taste (about 1-2 tsp, or 5-10g)
- 2 x fat ribeye steaks (approx. 180-200g weight each)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- a little sea salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp good quality mayonnaise
- 1 small clove garlic, crushed
- freshly grated wasabi to taste (about 1-2 tsp, or about 5-10g)
- freshly cooked crispy chips
- 2 generous handfuls of watercress
- Prepare the wasabi butter by beating freshly grated wasabi, around 1-2 teaspoons, into the softened butter. Wrap in cling film, rolling tightly into a little barrel shape. Chill in the fridge for 30 minutes, or freeze for 10 minutes, so that it is cold enough to slice.
- Heat the oil in a heavy based frying pan until smoking hot. Season the steaks on both sides with a little salt and freshly ground black pepper. Lay the steaks in the pan and fry, undisturbed, on one side for 2-3 minutes. Flip over and fry on the other side for a further 2-3 minutes.
- For a 2-3cm thick piece of meat these timings should give you a medium steak. Cook a little less for rare, a little more for well done. Remove the steak and allow to rest on a warm plate tightly covered in foil.
- Whilst the steak is resting, prepare the wasabi aioli by mixing together the mayonnaise with the crushed garlic. Stir through freshly grated wasabi to taste.
- Serve the steak with a slice of wasabi butter melting on top, accompanied by chips and watercress and wasabi aioli for dunking them in.
Recipe courtesy of www.thewasabicompany.co.uk