Chicken & tomato salad with minted pea dressing
This hearty chicken and tomato salad recipe with minted pea dressing is perfect for a healthy and flavourful lunch through the week.
Bursting with flavour, you can make this easily – many of the ingredients may already be in your kitchen. To cut down on prep time, make your dressing in advance to use throughout the week.
Serves: 4 Prep time: 45 minutes Cooking time: 4 minutes
- Juice of half a lemon
- 3-4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 heaped tsp cumin seeds, lightly crushed
- 500g mini chicken fillets
- 750g mixed Heirloom tomatoes
- 1 bunch spring onions, trimmed and thinly sliced
For the minted pea dressing:
- 175g frozen petit pois peas
- 8 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- A good pinch of caster sugar
- 2 large shallots, halved and thinly sliced
- The leaves from a 20g packet of mint, chopped
What to do:
- Mix the lemon juice, olive oil, crushed cumin seeds and 1/2 tsp sea salt flakes together in a shallow dish. Stir in the mini chicken fillets and leave to marinate for 30 minutes.
- For the salad dressing put the peas into a bowl and cover with boiling hot water. Leave for 5 minutes, then drain and set aside to cool. Whisk the oil, vinegar, sugar, and some salt and pepper to taste together in a bowl. Stir in the shallots and set aside with the chicken.
- Five minutes before you are ready to serve, cut the tomatoes into small chunky pieces and put them into a bowl with the spring onions and some sea salt flakes and pepper to taste. Toss together gently then spread over the base of a large serving plate.
- Preheat a ridged griddle of griddle pan over a high heat until smoking hot. Reduce the heat to medium-high. Lift the chicken fillets out of the marinade, lay them on the griddle and cook for 2 minutes on each side until cooked through and golden brown.
- Lift the hot chicken fillets onto the tomato salad. Stir the mint and peas into the dressing and spoon it over the chicken and tomatoes. Scatter over the mint leaves and serve.
Recipe courtesy of thetomatostall.co.uk
Rachel - Silversurfers Assistant Editor
Leave a Comment!
Community Terms & Conditions
These content standards apply to any and all material which you contribute to our site (contributions), and to any interactive services associated with it.
You must comply with the spirit of the following standards as well as the letter. The standards apply to each part of any contribution as well as to its whole.
be accurate (where they state facts); be genuinely held (where they state opinions); and comply with applicable law in the UK and in any country from which they are posted.
Contributions must not:
contain any material which is defamatory of any person; or contain any material which is obscene, offensive, hateful or inflammatory; or promote sexually explicit material; or promote violence; promote discrimination based on race, sex, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age; or infringe any copyright, database right or trade mark of any other person; or be likely to deceive any person; or be made in breach of any legal duty owed to a third party, such as a contractual duty or a duty of confidence; or promote any illegal activity; or be threatening, abuse or invade another’s privacy, or cause annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety; or be likely to harass, upset, embarrass, alarm or annoy any other person; or be used to impersonate any person, or to misrepresent your identity or affiliation with any person; or give the impression that they emanate from us, if this is not the case; or advocate, promote or assist any unlawful act such as (by way of example only) copyright infringement or computer misuse.
Nurturing a safe environment
Our Silversurfers community is designed to foster friendships, based on trust, honesty, integrity and loyalty and is underpinned by these values.
We don't tolerate swearing, and reserve the right to remove any posts which we feel may offend others... let's keep it friendly!