Chicken & Tomato Salad with Minted Pea Dressing
This hearty chicken and tomato salad recipe with minted pea dressing is perfect for a healthy and flavourful lunch through the week.
Bursting with flavour, you can make this easily – many of the ingredients may already be in your kitchen. To cut down on prep time, make your dressing in advance to use throughout the week.
Serves: 4 Prep time: 45 minutes Cooking time: 4 minutes
- Juice of half a lemon
- 3-4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 heaped tsp cumin seeds, lightly crushed
- 500g mini chicken fillets
- 750g mixed Heirloom tomatoes
- 1 bunch spring onions, trimmed and thinly sliced
For the minted pea dressing:
- 175g frozen petit pois peas
- 8 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- A good pinch of caster sugar
- 2 large shallots, halved and thinly sliced
- The leaves from a 20g packet of mint, chopped
What to do:
- Mix the lemon juice, olive oil, crushed cumin seeds and 1/2 tsp sea salt flakes together in a shallow dish. Stir in the mini chicken fillets and leave to marinate for 30 minutes.
- For the salad dressing put the peas into a bowl and cover with boiling hot water. Leave for 5 minutes, then drain and set aside to cool. Whisk the oil, vinegar, sugar, and some salt and pepper to taste together in a bowl. Stir in the shallots and set aside with the chicken.
- Five minutes before you are ready to serve, cut the tomatoes into small chunky pieces and put them into a bowl with the spring onions and some sea salt flakes and pepper to taste. Toss together gently then spread over the base of a large serving plate.
- Preheat a ridged griddle of griddle pan over a high heat until smoking hot. Reduce the heat to medium-high. Lift the chicken fillets out of the marinade, lay them on the griddle and cook for 2 minutes on each side until cooked through and golden brown.
- Lift the hot chicken fillets onto the tomato salad. Stir the mint and peas into the dressing and spoon it over the chicken and tomatoes. Scatter over the mint leaves and serve.
Recipe courtesy of thetomatostall.co.uk