Poached Egg & Ham Hock Salad with Celery
For a seasonal salad look no further than this three celery & ham hock salad recipe. It’s a warm and flavour-filled winter salad that’s perfect for lunch or dinner.
Serves: 4 Prep time: 20 Minutes Cook time: 20 Minutes (plus 2hrs 15 for simmering time the ham).
- 4 eggs
- 1 ham hock, soaked in cold water overnight
- 4 sticks of Fenland celery
- 1 small or half a head of celeriac, peeled
- Handful of celery leaves
- 2tbsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1tbsp malt or white wine vinegar
For the dressing
- 1tbsp cider vinegar
- 2tsp grain mustard
- 1tsp Dijon mustard
- 2tbsp olive oil
- 2tbsp vegetable or corn oil
- Salt and pepper
- Rinse off the ham hock, place in a large saucepan and cover well with cold water. Bring to the boil and simmer gently for about 2 hours, or until the meat is just coming away from the bone. Leave to cool in the liquid.
- Cut the celeriac into rough 2cm, odd-sized pieces and blanch in boiling salted water for 2-3 minutes until just tender. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain.
- Cut the Fenland celery into cm-thick slices on the angle and blanch for a minute in the celeriac water; drain and leave to cool.
- Heat the olive oil in a heavy or non-stick frying pan and fry the pieces of celeriac for 3-4 minutes, seasoning lightly as they are cooking, until they are lightly coloured. Transfer to a plate and leave to cool a little.
- Bring a pan of water to the boil and add a tablespoon of malt or white wine vinegar. To synchronise cooking the eggs, carefully crack them into cups then pour into the pan of simmering water for a couple of minutes. Remove the eggs from the water with a slotted spoon and dry on kitchen paper.
- For the dressing, whisk all of the ingredients together and season with salt and pepper. Remove the ham hock from the bone and break into bite-sized pieces. Arrange the celeriac, Fenland celery with the celery leaves on serving plates. Add the ham hock, spoon over the dressing and place a poached egg on the top.
Recipe courtesy of www.fenlandcelery.com
Rachel - Silversurfers Assistant Editor
Latest posts by Rachel - Silversurfers Assistant Editor (see all)
- Mini Blueberry Tartlets - December 14, 2018
- Preventing falls this winter - December 13, 2018
- Should banks help restrict where you spend your money? - December 11, 2018
- Be drink aware this December - December 10, 2018
- Board games for fun family nights in - December 7, 2018
Leave a Comment!
Community Terms & Conditions
These content standards apply to any and all material which you contribute to our site (contributions), and to any interactive services associated with it.
You must comply with the spirit of the following standards as well as the letter. The standards apply to each part of any contribution as well as to its whole.
be accurate (where they state facts); be genuinely held (where they state opinions); and comply with applicable law in the UK and in any country from which they are posted.
Contributions must not:
contain any material which is defamatory of any person; or contain any material which is obscene, offensive, hateful or inflammatory; or promote sexually explicit material; or promote violence; promote discrimination based on race, sex, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age; or infringe any copyright, database right or trade mark of any other person; or be likely to deceive any person; or be made in breach of any legal duty owed to a third party, such as a contractual duty or a duty of confidence; or promote any illegal activity; or be threatening, abuse or invade another’s privacy, or cause annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety; or be likely to harass, upset, embarrass, alarm or annoy any other person; or be used to impersonate any person, or to misrepresent your identity or affiliation with any person; or give the impression that they emanate from us, if this is not the case; or advocate, promote or assist any unlawful act such as (by way of example only) copyright infringement or computer misuse.
Nurturing a safe environment
Our Silversurfers community is designed to foster friendships, based on trust, honesty, integrity and loyalty and is underpinned by these values.
We don't tolerate swearing, and reserve the right to remove any posts which we feel may offend others... let's keep it friendly!