Spice up your lunch hour – literally – with this delicious herb salad with cumin roast beetroot, carrot and squash.
The roast carrot, beetroot and squash help make this dish moreish and satisfying, perfect when you want to eat healthy but still need a filling meal to get you through the day.
Serves: 4 Prep time: 10 minutes Cook time: 35 minutes
- 800g pumpkin or butternut squash
- 4 raw beetroot
- 3 carrots
- 2-3tbsp rapeseed or olive oil
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- pinch dried chilli flakes
- salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp hazelnuts, roughly chopped
- 1 bag herb salad
- 100ml coconut or natural yogurt (low fat if you prefer)
- 1 lime
- Heat the oven to 200C. Peel the pumpkin, beetroot and carrot and chop into bite size chunks. Lay in a single layer in a large baking tray and drizzle with half of the oil. Sprinkle with the cumin seeds and chilli and season well with the salt and pepper. Toss the veg well so it’s all coated and roast for 30 minutes until the veg are softened and charred.
- Meanwhile toast the nuts in a dry frying pan then set aside.
- Once the veg are cooked tip the salad bag onto a large serving plate, spoon the roast veg over the top then scatter with hazelnuts. Mix together the yogurt and zest of 1 lime and dollop over the veg then drizzle the whole plate with the remaining oil, the juice of the lime and a good pinch of salt and pepper.
Recipe courtesy of Salad Days