Aubergine and Mushroom Stacks
October is National Mushroom Month! Inexpensive and nutritious, mushrooms are a flavourful addition to any feast. As little as 4 medium-sized mushrooms count towards one of your five a day and come packed with riboflavin, folate and other B vitamins. What’s not to love?
This October we’re sharing a few of our favourite mushroom recipes including this delicious – and vegetarian – recipe for aubergine and mushroom stacks. Great as a side dish or a light meal on its own, you can have this recipe prepped, cooked and on the table un under an hour.
Serves: 4 Prep time: 20 minutes Cook time: 25 minutes
- 8 portobello mushrooms
- 1 aubergine
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and chopped
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 150g mature Cheddar cheese, sliced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 190°C, fan oven 170°C, Gas Mark 5.
- Put the mushrooms, gills facing up, into a roasting tin.
- Take 8 slices from the aubergine (crossways, not lengthways), then chop any remaining aubergine finely.
- Heat half the olive oil in a large frying pan and briefly fry the aubergine slices for 1-2 minutes on each side. Remove from the pan. Add the rest of the olive oil to the pan and cook the onion, pepper and chopped aubergine for 5-6 minutes. Add the tomatoes and tomato puree. Cook gently for another 1-2 minutes, then season with salt and pepper.
- Spoon half the tomato mixture into the mushrooms and top with a slice of aubergine. Spoon the rest of the tomato mixture on top, then sprinkle with the cheese. Transfer to the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes. Serve 2 mushrooms per person.
Cook’s tip: It helps if you can select mushrooms that are about the same size.
Recipe courtesy of Just Add Mushrooms
Silversurfer's Assistant Editor
Latest posts by Silversurfer's Assistant Editor (see all)
- Did you put off retirement due to money worries? - July 18, 2018
- Tips for tracing old pensions - July 18, 2018
- Barbecued corn on the cob with shallot herb butter - July 16, 2018
- Clever uses for self-adhesive Command™ hooks - July 13, 2018
- Summer roulade recipes - July 12, 2018
Leave a Comment!
Community Terms & Conditions
These content standards apply to any and all material which you contribute to our site (contributions), and to any interactive services associated with it.
You must comply with the spirit of the following standards as well as the letter. The standards apply to each part of any contribution as well as to its whole.
be accurate (where they state facts); be genuinely held (where they state opinions); and comply with applicable law in the UK and in any country from which they are posted.
Contributions must not:
contain any material which is defamatory of any person; or contain any material which is obscene, offensive, hateful or inflammatory; or promote sexually explicit material; or promote violence; promote discrimination based on race, sex, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age; or infringe any copyright, database right or trade mark of any other person; or be likely to deceive any person; or be made in breach of any legal duty owed to a third party, such as a contractual duty or a duty of confidence; or promote any illegal activity; or be threatening, abuse or invade another’s privacy, or cause annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety; or be likely to harass, upset, embarrass, alarm or annoy any other person; or be used to impersonate any person, or to misrepresent your identity or affiliation with any person; or give the impression that they emanate from us, if this is not the case; or advocate, promote or assist any unlawful act such as (by way of example only) copyright infringement or computer misuse.
Nurturing a safe environment
Our Silversurfers community is designed to foster friendships, based on trust, honesty, integrity and loyalty and is underpinned by these values.
We don't tolerate swearing, and reserve the right to remove any posts which we feel may offend others... let's keep it friendly!