Simple, delicious and easy to prepare, this shallot and asparagus tart is perfect for a little al fresco dining on a warm summer’s evening.
Ready in less than half an hour, you can use this for summer entertaining or as leftovers throughout the week. The sweet and sourness of the shallots blend beautifully with the cheese and asparagus for a melt-in-the-mouth meal.
Serves: 4 Preparation time: 15 minutes Cooking time: 15-20 minutes
- 16 shallots, peeled and halved
- 150g asparagus tips
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 320g ready-rolled puff pastry
- 100g Dolcelatte blue cheese
- A little milk or egg for glazing
What to do
- Pre heat oven to 200c /180c fan /gas 6.
- Place the shallots and asparagus in a griddle pan, add the oil and toss until lightly coated.
- Cook over a medium heat turning at regular intervals until softened and beginning to colour, remove the asparagus if it cooks quicker than the shallots.
- Add the balsamic vinegar to the pan and allow to bubble and coat the shallots and asparagus. Set aside and allow to cool.
- Unroll the pastry and place on a baking tin, with a sharp knife cut a border around the pastry, aprox 2.5 cm from the edge, tap the edges with a knife to separate the layers slightly and prick the middle with a fork several times.
- Spoon the shallots and asparagus onto the pastry case, inside the border and top with cubes of Dolcelatte. Brush the edges with a little milk or beaten egg and cook for aprox 15 – 20 minutes until golden and risen.
- Serve warm with a watercress and rocket salad.
Recipe courtesy of www.ukshallot.com