Enjoy a hearty dish with the first fresh taste of summer with this spring onion and asparagus risotto recipe.
Decadent yet light, this fragrant risotto dish is the perfect crossover recipe as we enjoy our first weeks of spring weather; it’s just warming and hearty enough to keep out the slight evening chill in the air.
Serves: 2 Preparation time: 10 minutes Cooking time: 35 minutes
- 25g butter
- 1 stick of celery, finely diced
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 175g Arborio rice
- 100ml white wine
- 750ml vegetable or chicken stock, hot
- 6 asparagus spears, chopped into 1cm rounds, tips kept whole
- 3 spring onions, sliced
- 50g Parmesan cheese, grated
What to do:
- Melt the butter in a large, heavy based saucepan. On a medium heat cook the celery for 5 minutes until it becomes tender, then add the garlic, then the rice and stir to coat. Cook for 1-2
- minutes. Pour in the wine and stir until absorbed. Pour in half of the hot stock, stir well and simmer stirring occasionally. Once the stock is almost absorbed, pour in half of the remaining stock and continue to cook.
- Add the asparagus and spring onions and half the remaining stock. Continue adding half of the remaining stock and stirring until the rice is cooked with a slight bite in the centre and not mushy. The risotto should be wet with a creamy sauce.
- Remove from the heat, stir in half of the Parmesan and some black pepper, check the seasoning and adjust as necessary.
- Serve with the remaining Parmesan sprinkled over and any left-over celery tops, chopped.
- As you get towards the end of the cooking time keep tasting the rice and use a little more or less stock if required.
Recipe courtesy of www.lovethecrunch.com