Lemon Coconut Polenta Cake
Lemon and Coconut Polenta Cake (serves 8-10)
- 200g softened unsalted butter (plus, a little more for greasing the tin)
- 200g caster sugar
- 120g fine (dry) polenta (It’s also sold as fine Corn Meal)
- 80g desiccated coconut
- 100g ground almonds
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder (gluten-free if you like)
- 3 large eggs
- Zest of 2 lemons
- for the syrup
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 125g icing sugar
Grease a 9 inch round springform tin and preheat the oven to 180C (fan-assisted).
- In a separate bowl mix together the ground almonds, polenta, coconut and baking powder.
- Cream together the butter and sugar in a large bowl. This works best with very soft butter (I might have cheated and popped the butter into the microwave for 10 seconds).
- Add a third of the dry mix plus an egg to the sugar-butter mixture. Beat in well and then repeat with the following two eggs. The mixture should be just shy of fluffy.
- Just before adding to the baking tin, stir in the lemon zest.
- Bake in the oven for 30-40 minutes. The cake will be a delightful golden colour and beginning to shrink away from the edges.
- While the cake is cooling, make the syrup by boiling together the icing sugar and lemon juice in a small pan.
- Once the sugar is fully dissolved, prick the cake all over with a thin skewer and pour the syrup over the cake.
You should probably allow the cake to cool before serving, but if you are as impatient as me pop the kettle on and enjoy a delicious slice while its warm.
Sarina1 would love your feedback, please leave your comments below:
Community Terms & Conditions
These content standards apply to any and all material which you contribute to our site (contributions), and to any interactive services associated with it.
You must comply with the spirit of the following standards as well as the letter. The standards apply to each part of any contribution as well as to its whole.
be accurate (where they state facts); be genuinely held (where they state opinions); and comply with applicable law in the UK and in any country from which they are posted.
Contributions must not:
contain any material which is defamatory of any person; or contain any material which is obscene, offensive, hateful or inflammatory; or promote sexually explicit material; or promote violence; promote discrimination based on race, sex, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age; or infringe any copyright, database right or trade mark of any other person; or be likely to deceive any person; or be made in breach of any legal duty owed to a third party, such as a contractual duty or a duty of confidence; or promote any illegal activity; or be threatening, abuse or invade another’s privacy, or cause annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety; or be likely to harass, upset, embarrass, alarm or annoy any other person; or be used to impersonate any person, or to misrepresent your identity or affiliation with any person; or give the impression that they emanate from us, if this is not the case; or advocate, promote or assist any unlawful act such as (by way of example only) copyright infringement or computer misuse.
Nurturing a safe environment
Our Silversurfers community is designed to foster friendships, based on trust, honesty, integrity and loyalty and is underpinned by these values.
We don't tolerate swearing, and reserve the right to remove any posts which we feel may offend others... let's keep it friendly!