Warm Steak & Beetroot Sandwich
This healthy take on the traditional steak sandwich is the perfect go-to for lunch in the middle of a busy week!
A fresh infusion of beetroot and lettuce add depth and a crisp freshness to the warm steak, creating a melt-in-your-mouth filling that tastes perfect over lightly toasted bread.
Serves: 2 Prep time: 10 minutes Cooking time: 45 minutes
for the dressing
- 6 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 small clove garlic, crushed
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
for the sandwich
- a 2-3cm fat ribeye steak (approx 225g weight)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- a little sea salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 2-4 shallots, finely sliced (for a summer version, replace the shallots with a handful of peppery watercress leaves)
- 2 Bunched Beetroot, boiled for 40 – 45 minutes and cut into slices
- Cos Lettuce, a few leaves
- a ciabatta loaf, cut in half & sliced open
What to do:
- Firstly, make the dressing by putting everything in a small jar with a tight fitting lid. Shake well until thoroughly mixed and season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Heat the oil in a heavy based frying pan until smoking hot. Season the steak on both sides with a little salt and freshly ground black pepper. Lay the steak in the pan and fry, undisturbed, on one side for 2-3 minutes. Flip over and fry on the other side for a further 2-3 minutes. For a 2-3cm thick piece of meat these timings should give you a medium steak. Cook a little less for rare, a little more for well done. Remove the steak and allow to rest on a warm plate tightly covered in foil.
- Add the shallots to the frying pan and fry for a few minutes over a medium high heat until softening and beginning to caramelise. Remove to a plate and keep warm.
- Lay the ciabatta slices, cut side down, in the frying pan and toast lightly for a minute or two.
- Place some torn lettuce leaves between 2 pieces of the ciabatta. Slice the steak into 1cm wide strips across the grain and arrange on top of the lettuce. Top with the sliced beetroot and fried onions. Finally drizzle over a little of the dressing and cover with the top of the ciabatta. Serve immediately.
- Any leftover dressing with keep in the fridge for at least a week.
Recipe courtesy of o-liveorganic.com
Silversurfers Features Editor
Latest posts by Silversurfers Features Editor (see all)
Leave a Comment!
Community Terms & Conditions
These content standards apply to any and all material which you contribute to our site (contributions), and to any interactive services associated with it.
You must comply with the spirit of the following standards as well as the letter. The standards apply to each part of any contribution as well as to its whole.
be accurate (where they state facts); be genuinely held (where they state opinions); and comply with applicable law in the UK and in any country from which they are posted.
Contributions must not:
contain any material which is defamatory of any person; or contain any material which is obscene, offensive, hateful or inflammatory; or promote sexually explicit material; or promote violence; promote discrimination based on race, sex, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age; or infringe any copyright, database right or trade mark of any other person; or be likely to deceive any person; or be made in breach of any legal duty owed to a third party, such as a contractual duty or a duty of confidence; or promote any illegal activity; or be threatening, abuse or invade another’s privacy, or cause annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety; or be likely to harass, upset, embarrass, alarm or annoy any other person; or be used to impersonate any person, or to misrepresent your identity or affiliation with any person; or give the impression that they emanate from us, if this is not the case; or advocate, promote or assist any unlawful act such as (by way of example only) copyright infringement or computer misuse.
Nurturing a safe environment
Our Silversurfers community is designed to foster friendships, based on trust, honesty, integrity and loyalty and is underpinned by these values.
We don't tolerate swearing, and reserve the right to remove any posts which we feel may offend others... let's keep it friendly!