Tomato and sausage minestrone
Minestrone is an Italian tomato soup recipe that’s an absolute classic.
Bursting with flavour and packed full of veg, it’s a hearty and healthy dish that’s perfect for lunch. Serve with sausage to make it even more filling.
Serves: 4-6 Prep time: 10 minutes Cooking time: 40 minutes
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 eschalion chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and diced
- 1 large potato, peeled and diced
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 stick of celery, diced
- 6 pork sausages
- 500g Isle of Wight mixed cherry tomatoes
- Salt and pepper
- 500ml chicken stock
- 150g pasta, a small shape is ideal, for example, mini shells
- 400g tin cannellini beans
- Small bunch of basil, leaves chopped
- 75g parmesan grated
- Preheat the oven to 200°c.
- In a large pan, heat the olive oil and sauté the eschalion, carrot, potato, garlic and celery until softened, around 10 minutes.
- Snip the sausages into 3-4cm pieces and remove the skins. Add a drizzle of olive oil to a frying pan and allow to heat through. Add the sausages and fry until golden and cooked through.
- Place the tomatoes on a roasting tray, drizzle with olive oil and season. Roast in the oven for 15-20 minutes until softened.
- Pour the chicken stock in the pan with the sautéed vegetables and bring to a gentle simmer.
- Once simmering add the pasta and leave to simmer until the pasta is cooked, around 20 minutes. When the pasta is cooked, add the roasted tomatoes, sausages and cannellini beans. Leave on the heat to allow the beans to warm through.
- Stir through the fresh basil and serve in bowls topped with grated parmesan.
Recipe courtesy of The Tomato Stall
Rachel - Silversurfers Assistant Editor
Leave a Comment!
Community Terms & Conditions
These content standards apply to any and all material which you contribute to our site (contributions), and to any interactive services associated with it.
You must comply with the spirit of the following standards as well as the letter. The standards apply to each part of any contribution as well as to its whole.
be accurate (where they state facts); be genuinely held (where they state opinions); and comply with applicable law in the UK and in any country from which they are posted.
Contributions must not:
contain any material which is defamatory of any person; or contain any material which is obscene, offensive, hateful or inflammatory; or promote sexually explicit material; or promote violence; promote discrimination based on race, sex, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age; or infringe any copyright, database right or trade mark of any other person; or be likely to deceive any person; or be made in breach of any legal duty owed to a third party, such as a contractual duty or a duty of confidence; or promote any illegal activity; or be threatening, abuse or invade another’s privacy, or cause annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety; or be likely to harass, upset, embarrass, alarm or annoy any other person; or be used to impersonate any person, or to misrepresent your identity or affiliation with any person; or give the impression that they emanate from us, if this is not the case; or advocate, promote or assist any unlawful act such as (by way of example only) copyright infringement or computer misuse.
Nurturing a safe environment
Our Silversurfers community is designed to foster friendships, based on trust, honesty, integrity and loyalty and is underpinned by these values.
We don't tolerate swearing, and reserve the right to remove any posts which we feel may offend others... let's keep it friendly!