2 Halloumi BBQ recipes for Vegetarians
Add more bite to your meat-free meals with Halloumi cheese
Halloumi BBQ recipes are getting more and more popular – so we’ve put together 2 fresh recipes that bring out its unique flavour – and give you a few extra ideas on how to cook this amazing cheese for your summertime meals, snacks and barbecue menus.
Kale with Lentils and Grilled Halloumi
Serve this as a salad with your main dishes – pan fry or BBQ the halloumi and rest it on a bed of full-flavoured kale, roasted red peppers and hearty green lentils.
3 tbsp olive oil
3 echalion shallots, peeled and sliced
2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
2 red chillies, deseeded and sliced
300g green lentils
1 tsp smoked paprika
700ml vegetable stock, made from cubes
350g roasted red peppers, from a jar, drained and sliced
250g halloumi cheese, sliced into 8
What to do:
- Heat half the oil in a large non-stick pan and add the shallots, garlic and chillies. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring until the shallots soften. Add the lentils, paprika and a little seasoning.
- Pour in the stock and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer for 20 minutes until the stock is mostly absorbed and lentils are nearly tender.
- Add the kale and peppers, cover and cook for a further 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, brush the halloumi slices with the remaining olive oil and cook in a heated pan for 2 minutes per side.
- Divide the kale mixture between 4 plates and top each one with 2 slices of halloumi.
Halloumi Kebabs with Mixed Pepper Rice
These halloumi kebabs can be BBQ’d or simply grilled for a fast and easy family meal.
1 green pepper
1 red pepper
1 yellow pepper
1 red onion, cut into wedges
2 courgettes, cut into 2cm chunks
3 tbsp pesto
2 tbsp olive oil
2 packets long grain rice, microwaveable
What to do:
- For each pepper, finely chop one half and cut the other half into chunks.
- Toss the pepper chunks, halloumi, red onion wedges and courgettes with the pesto sauce then thread onto 8 skewers.
- Heat the oil and fry all the finely-chopped peppers for 5 minutes until softened. Add the rice and cook for a further 5 minutes until piping hot.
- Meanwhile, grill the kebabs for 6-8 minutes, turning frequently, until the edges begin to char.
- Serve 2 cooked kebabs per portion with the pepper rice.
Latest posts by Morrisons (see all)
Leave a Comment!
Community Terms & Conditions
These content standards apply to any and all material which you contribute to our site (contributions), and to any interactive services associated with it.
You must comply with the spirit of the following standards as well as the letter. The standards apply to each part of any contribution as well as to its whole.
be accurate (where they state facts); be genuinely held (where they state opinions); and comply with applicable law in the UK and in any country from which they are posted.
Contributions must not:
contain any material which is defamatory of any person; or contain any material which is obscene, offensive, hateful or inflammatory; or promote sexually explicit material; or promote violence; promote discrimination based on race, sex, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age; or infringe any copyright, database right or trade mark of any other person; or be likely to deceive any person; or be made in breach of any legal duty owed to a third party, such as a contractual duty or a duty of confidence; or promote any illegal activity; or be threatening, abuse or invade another’s privacy, or cause annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety; or be likely to harass, upset, embarrass, alarm or annoy any other person; or be used to impersonate any person, or to misrepresent your identity or affiliation with any person; or give the impression that they emanate from us, if this is not the case; or advocate, promote or assist any unlawful act such as (by way of example only) copyright infringement or computer misuse.
Nurturing a safe environment
Our Silversurfers community is designed to foster friendships, based on trust, honesty, integrity and loyalty and is underpinned by these values.
We don't tolerate swearing, and reserve the right to remove any posts which we feel may offend others... let's keep it friendly!