Rhubarb and Custard Cake
Rhubarb is in season now, and there’s nothing like the combination of rhubarb and custard, so why not try it in a cake, with this fabulous recipe from Morrisons?
If you are feeling really decadent, you could serve it with extra pouring custard or cream, too!
- 3 eggs
- 100g self-raising flour
- 100g ground almonds
- ½ tsp almond essence
- 60g custard powder
- 25g flaked almonds
- 1 tbsp icing sugar, sifted
- 50g demerara sugar
- 150g sunflower spread
- 150g caster sugar
- 200g wonky rhubarb, trimmed and cut into small pieces
Total time required 1 hr 25 mins
- Preparation time: 25 mins
- Cooking time: 1 hr
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas 4. Line the base of a 20cm loose-bottom round cake tin with non-stick baking parchment.
- Place the rhubarb in a pan with a tight-fitting lid, add the demerara sugar. Cover and cook over a medium-to-low heat for 10 minutes until just softened. Remove from the heat.
- Cream together the sunflower spread and caster sugar until pale and fluffy, add the eggs one at a time, adding 1 tbsp of the flour with each egg.
- Fold in the remaining flour with the ground almonds, almond essence and custard powder.
- Loosely fold in the cooked rhubarb then spoon into the prepared tin. Scatter the flaked almonds over the top and bake for 45-50 minutes.
- Allow to cool in the tin then carefully remove and place on a serving plate or rack, dust with the icing sugar and cut into wedges to serve.
Latest posts by Morrisons (see all)
- Pimm’s Strawberry Meringue Pie - July 19, 2019
- How to create a wildlife garden with the grandchildren this summer - July 4, 2019
- Rhubarb and Custard Cake - June 19, 2019
- 8 BBQ Kebabs that will wow the crowd this summer - May 29, 2019
- 2 Halloumi BBQ recipes for Vegetarians - May 15, 2019
Leave a Comment!
Community Terms & Conditions
These content standards apply to any and all material which you contribute to our site (contributions), and to any interactive services associated with it.
You must comply with the spirit of the following standards as well as the letter. The standards apply to each part of any contribution as well as to its whole.
be accurate (where they state facts); be genuinely held (where they state opinions); and comply with applicable law in the UK and in any country from which they are posted.
Contributions must not:
contain any material which is defamatory of any person; or contain any material which is obscene, offensive, hateful or inflammatory; or promote sexually explicit material; or promote violence; promote discrimination based on race, sex, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age; or infringe any copyright, database right or trade mark of any other person; or be likely to deceive any person; or be made in breach of any legal duty owed to a third party, such as a contractual duty or a duty of confidence; or promote any illegal activity; or be threatening, abuse or invade another’s privacy, or cause annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety; or be likely to harass, upset, embarrass, alarm or annoy any other person; or be used to impersonate any person, or to misrepresent your identity or affiliation with any person; or give the impression that they emanate from us, if this is not the case; or advocate, promote or assist any unlawful act such as (by way of example only) copyright infringement or computer misuse.
Nurturing a safe environment
Our Silversurfers community is designed to foster friendships, based on trust, honesty, integrity and loyalty and is underpinned by these values.
We don't tolerate swearing, and reserve the right to remove any posts which we feel may offend others... let's keep it friendly!