Rhubarb and Custard Cake
Rhubarb is in season now, and there’s nothing like the combination of rhubarb and custard, so why not try it in a cake, with this fabulous recipe from Morrisons?
If you are feeling really decadent, you could serve it with extra pouring custard or cream, too!
- 3 eggs
- 100g self-raising flour
- 100g ground almonds
- ½ tsp almond essence
- 60g custard powder
- 25g flaked almonds
- 1 tbsp icing sugar, sifted
- 50g demerara sugar
- 150g sunflower spread
- 150g caster sugar
- 200g wonky rhubarb, trimmed and cut into small pieces
Total time required 1 hr 25 mins
- Preparation time: 25 mins
- Cooking time: 1 hr
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas 4. Line the base of a 20cm loose-bottom round cake tin with non-stick baking parchment.
- Place the rhubarb in a pan with a tight-fitting lid, add the demerara sugar. Cover and cook over a medium-to-low heat for 10 minutes until just softened. Remove from the heat.
- Cream together the sunflower spread and caster sugar until pale and fluffy, add the eggs one at a time, adding 1 tbsp of the flour with each egg.
- Fold in the remaining flour with the ground almonds, almond essence and custard powder.
- Loosely fold in the cooked rhubarb then spoon into the prepared tin. Scatter the flaked almonds over the top and bake for 45-50 minutes.
- Allow to cool in the tin then carefully remove and place on a serving plate or rack, dust with the icing sugar and cut into wedges to serve.
Latest posts by Morrisons (see all)
- Pimm’s Strawberry Meringue Pie - July 19, 2021
- Rhubarb and Custard Cake - June 27, 2021
- Your Valentine’s Day Menu - January 29, 2020
- Kick start your year with healthy recipe inspiration from Morrisons - January 14, 2020
- Rudolph is in luck this Christmas thanks to Morrisons! - December 10, 2019