View comments by: Most Recent - first / last | Most Popular - first / last | Replies - hide / show

Over 50 and just lost job

Hi Folks I hope you're all well. A friend of mine who is just over 50 years of age lost his job last month. He was working in an accounts department as a credit controller. He has about 15 years' experience of the job and has always done office work, - administration & credit control. He is now very upset and doesn't know what to do next, and wondering if anyone would employ him at his age. He is now looking for other opportunities and needs to find a job/career that brings in a good wage which would cover his usually household bills and mortgage payments. He also has 2 young children attending secondary school. Can someone be kind enough to advice the best course of action to take and whether he should keep in the same field of work (accounts) or retrain for something else? Thank You.

Created By on 25/05/2017

Not a member?

You need to be a member to interact with Silversurfers. Joining is free and simple to do. Click the button below to join today!

Silversurfers Editor
25th May 2017 16:14:12
Thanks for voting!
Sorry to hear this 🙁 There is a website called Skilled People who may be able to help your friend ... we ran a feature about them some time ago ... here is the link: https://www.silversurfers.com/financial/silver-bullets-aged-50-plus-recruited-to-small-businesses-grow/ There is a website link there and also a freephone telephone number to. Best of luck 🙂
Response from geek84 Original Poster made on 27th May 2017 12:54:56
Thank You.
MrsTB
24th Mar 2018 19:31:44
Thanks for voting!
I am 63 this year and just been made redundant from a (famously infamous) company in the U.K. I worked in community, charity, education, volunteering etc. I worked on construction bids and also with the homeless as a mentor and learning disabled children with a sports holiday.

I have had a few interviews and have variously been told I have too much experience, the job they are offering is too junior, one person even told me that I would have more experience than my would be line manager. I have decided after six weeks to go freelance. I need to look into it. Ut I am experienced as a Child Safeguarding trainer (which was another part of my job) and doing work related learning projects which I used to love doing.

Really I wanted to change my work pattern to three days a week this year with the company until I retire so being freelance gives me an opportunity to pick and choose my hours of working and my areas, whereas until I was made redundant I would travel between London, Birmingham, Manchester etc. which was quite tiring.

I jut need to keep some money coming in for a couple of years so we can carry through our retirement plans.
Linn
21st Sep 2017 15:15:42
Thanks for voting!
Hi everyone I'm 50 years old I've worked in the Hospitality Industry for 10 years, Social Grant's Administrator for 14 years, Debt Restructuring Consultant and currently an Adult Faciltator for the past three years. I not satisfied that I've been working on contract for so long sometimes I'm at home for months before I gey a new contract. I urgently need permanent employment.
dsr25
29th May 2017 12:57:20
Thanks for voting!
I would try the public sector ,i.e., NHS, Councils etc.. they seem to prefer experience and the reliability of the older worker.

Tell your friend to get registered with employment agencies that deal with accountancy jobs, and they may be able to get him a temp to perm role.

Also, make sure he has a LinkedIn profile, as all the agencies use this to find people to fill jobs. He can put a posting on there saying what area of the country he lives, what he is looking for and that he is available for work.
ArchieUK
26th May 2017 09:19:24
Thanks for voting!
I can only write about my own experience in life.
At 63 years old after 25 years of working for the same company, on the shop floor, I took early retirement, after a few weeks I was a bit lost so I looked in the paper and there was a job just a normal paid job but a job after all in the local museum, no retraining you just learned the job on the hoof.
At 65 they severed my service as I had now become pensionable age and they had a agreement with the union, so on my own again. After a few weeks I went to my local Tesco store looking for a job and they took me on and I was good at the job (checkout operator ) but the job did not like me, I was not used to sitting down for most of the shift so after 6/7 months I had to give the job up.
So there is life for the over 50s if you go look for it.

My advice is forget the GOOD WAGE , just get a job, learn on the job if necessary and keep your dignity.

Community Terms & Conditions

Content standards

These content standards apply to any and all material which you contribute to our site (contributions), and to any interactive services associated with it.

You must comply with the spirit of the following standards as well as the letter. The standards apply to each part of any contribution as well as to its whole.

Contributions must:

be accurate (where they state facts); be genuinely held (where they state opinions); and comply with applicable law in the UK and in any country from which they are posted.

Contributions must not:

contain any material which is defamatory of any person; or contain any material which is obscene, offensive, hateful or inflammatory; or promote sexually explicit material; or promote violence; promote discrimination based on race, sex, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age; or infringe any copyright, database right or trade mark of any other person; or be likely to deceive any person; or be made in breach of any legal duty owed to a third party, such as a contractual duty or a duty of confidence; or promote any illegal activity; or be threatening, abuse or invade another’s privacy, or cause annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety; or be likely to harass, upset, embarrass, alarm or annoy any other person; or be used to impersonate any person, or to misrepresent your identity or affiliation with any person; or give the impression that they emanate from us, if this is not the case; or advocate, promote or assist any unlawful act such as (by way of example only) copyright infringement or computer misuse.

Nurturing a safe environment

Our Silversurfers community is designed to foster friendships, based on trust, honesty, integrity and loyalty and is underpinned by these values.

We don't tolerate swearing, and reserve the right to remove any posts which we feel may offend others... let's keep it friendly!